In this TTS Talking podcast episode, Alistair Bryce-Clegg is joined by renowned Forest School experts, Mel McCree and Sarah Lawfull. Sharing their passion for the Forest School approach, Sarah and Mel explain to Alistair the 6 key principles and how this ethos really benefits child development.
The Forest School ethos offers children a play-based approach to learning in the great outdoors. The approach focuses on all children having the opportunity to develop in a hands-on learning environment with experiences that aim to enhance key skills from the early years onwards.
6 Key Principles:
Sarah Lawfull, Chair of the Forest School Association and podcast guest, highlights the 6 key principles:
- Forest School is a long-term process
- Nature connection, learning in a natural wooded environment
- Promotes holistic development
- Supports Risk-taking
- Ran by qualified and reflective Forest School practitioners and leaders
- Encompasses learner-centred processes to create a community for being, development and learning.
For more information on this topic and an introduction to the Forest School approach, listen to episode 17 with Mel McCree and Sarah Lawfull.
Listened and loved it?
Sign-up here for exclusive follow-up content and be the first to hear about new episodes.
Please note: When referencing the speakers views, theory and work for development of your own materials, please ensure academic reference of the speaker is cited.